Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Next Step..

I did it. I sent in my application for graduate school.

I basically didn't have a choice as to where to attend, though. Not many colleges here in the first state.

I've known for a long time that I wanted to be a school counselor. However, counseling jobs are some of the first on the chopping block in regards to cuts. I've done a lot of thinking, and I'm definitely not going to let that stop me from reaching this goal. My favorite part of teaching is connecting with the kids, learning about their lives. So I'm very excited for this next step!

I'm thankful that this school offers the dual program, for both elementary and secondary. I'd love to work in the middle school or secondary setting. I went through a lot during those two periods of my life, and I want to be there for students who need the extra guidance and support.

I have no idea what the timeline is from this point forward. I've only been out of undergrad for a couple years, so this graduate school thing is a whole new ball game! What I'm not excited for is the loan/money aspect of it all. I'm thankful for the tuition reimbursement program in my district, and I can't wait to get the ball rolling!

Are any of my followers pursuing this degree? 
Does anyone know of any counseling blogs?

7 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm applying this summer too, and I absolutely dread the money aspect...Good luck with your grad school experience!

    Jackie

    Third Grade's A Charm

    Enter My 100 Follower Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I didn't go to grad school for counseling. I did it for reading and although it was expensive, I have never regretted it. Best wishes. Thanks as well for linking up on my page of inspiring blogs :)
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog this weekend! Thanks for leaving a link back! Happy to have found you that way! I look forward to keeping in touch. I'm a new follower!
    Michelle
    nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! I am your newest follower. I would love to have you join my giveaway!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Meghan, on taking a step in following your dreams.

    I would suggest a visit to Corner on Character--Barbara Gruener's Blog.
    YOU WILL LOVE IT!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - Thanks, Kim. Meghan, if I can ever help you with anything, please let me know! It's a wonderful calling, being a teacher and then moving into school counseling!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete