Sunday, June 28, 2015

Summer Reading Recommendations

I LOVE posting about what I'm reading. (Hence my posts here, here, here, here, and here! Yikes. Click those links for more book recommendations!) What I love even more is reading about what others are reading! Because of that, my to-read list on Goodreads is a mile long and always expanding. Darn you, talented authors!



So I'm linking up (a little late!) with Lucky to Be in First for a Summer Reading Linky! These lists are obviously abbreviated. Enjoy!



Prisoner B-3087: I saw this book on another blogger's list, and it looks pretty interesting.

Me Before You: I bought this book on my Kindle a while ago but haven't gotten to it. What better time than the summer!

Wonder: I started this book during D.E.A.R. time with my students, but toward the end of the year, I used that time to catch up on paper work. Bad teacher! So, I brought this hard copy home to finish!

101 Solutions & How Children Succeed: Some professional reading for my new job.



Life in a Jar: I loved this book for a couple reasons. Number one, I love narrative nonfiction. One of my favorite genres! Also, the secondary plot is about how a teacher ignites a love of learning in a group of girls, which leads them to learn more about this historical, yet widely unknown, woman, Irena Sendler.

And the Mountains Echoed: From the author of Kite Runner & Thousand Splendid Suns. The stories he writes are just so beautiful, and they are always a tangled web of characters. I gave this one 4 stars, only because I kind of needed to draw a character map to keep track of all of the connections between them! But it is worth the read!

The Martian: So stoked that this is going to be a movie. With Matt Damon. Bonus. All about a guy getting left on Mars. Loved it!

Up the Down Staircase: I'm reading this now, and I can't put it down. It was written in the 60s, and it is proof that much about teaching has not changed much! It is about a young woman who is a fictional teacher in an urban high school. It chronicles her relationships, struggles, and successes. 110% recommend! Apparently, it was made into a movie a few decades ago that I might need to track down and check out.

Tuck Everlasting: I read this with my above level students this year, and we fell in love. We watched the movie during the last week of school, and they were so excited! Don't you love when that happens?

Thanks for reading. Any other suggestions? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Love your books to read! Wonder was so amazing and so was Me Before You! Good news...a sequel is coming out in September!! Can't wait!

    Slainte,
    ☘ Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete